Filming at Descanso
Week after week, Descanso Gardens stands in for locations around the globe. The varied landscapes of the Gardens provide locations for film and TV productions, commercials and print photography. In the last year, Descanso Gardens has been featured regularly on "All My Children." The much anticipated nuptials of Arizona and Callie on "Grey's Anatomy" took place in the Under the Oaks Theater. "The Closer" and "NCIs" all filmed in the Gardens, as did Absolut Vodka, AT&T, Activia, Vogue Zyrtec and KCET.
Some of the more popular areas for filming are:
- The 25-acre California Live Oak Forest with its towering 150-year old oaks.
- The Japanese Tea House and Minka, situated in the midst of a tranquil Japanese garden and linked by a traditional moon bridge over a softly flowing stream filled with iridescent koi. Azaleas, camellias and a traditional rock garden surround this graceful, open-air structure with blue tile roof and adjacent Minka, which replicates a traditional Japanese farmhouse.
- The Boddy House, once the residence of newspaper publisher E. Manchester Boddy, founder of Descanso Gardens, this 12,000-square-foot, 22-room, Regency-style mansion built in 1939 still is a showstopper. The terrace has a dramatic 180-degree view of the San Gabriel Mountains through a canopy of Coast live oaks.
- The 5-acre Rose Garden containing more than 3,000 roses from around the world. The informal landscape features meandering grass and earthen paths through various landscape displays. Trees, perennials and companion plantings highlight the roses and ensure that there's always something in bloom. In the center is the Rose Pavilion, a 3,500-square-foot open-air Craftsman-style structure.
- The Camellia Collection is the heart of Descanso Gardens. This collection is world famous, containing 34,000 camellia shrubs growing under a canopy of Coast live oaks.
- The Main Lawn is a 1.5-acre sweep of green.
- The Van de Kamp Hall complex is located near the main entrance to Descanso Gardens, with a Craftsman-style building and adjoining classrooms that are fully enclosed and have a separate entrance.
- The Bird Observation Station is an open-air, lake-side structure with the look of a camp cabin.
- The Promenade is a 450-foot-long walkway flanked by a wide bed filled with seasonal horticultural displays.
- The California Garden is a 9-acre home to trees and plants that are native to Southern California.
- Mulberry Pond, a sparkling hillside pond with waterfall and colorful koi.
Parking is available in the landscaped main lot and an auxiliary lot.
For further information, please call the Special Events Office at Descanso Gardens, (818) 949-4291, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday by appointment. Or e-mail [email protected]