School Visits to Descanso Gardens
Exploratory, nature-based programs for schools establish Descanso Gardens as an invaluable community resource for teachers and students and attract more than 6,000 students every year. Descanso’s school programs offer children the opportunity to experience the richness of our natural world for the study of life science, history and more.
All schools are required to make a reservation to visit Descanso Gardens.
School field trips are available to and free with reservations for qualifying schools. A qualifying school group must have a minimum of 10 students and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- An accredited California public or private school
- A preschool providing academic instruction to students over 2 years of age
- A program through a school that provides academic instruction to students
- A Head Start or Child Development Center
- Homeschool groups
Click on the links below to learn more about the types of programs available:
School Field Trips
- Docent-Guided Field Trips are guided explorations of the gardens for K-8th graders with a School Programs Docent. Offered Tuesday through Thursday at 9:30 am. Maximum of 60 students per day.
- Self-Guided Field Trips allow for the classroom teacher to design and lead the educational experience for students in pre-K through high school.
Descanso Partnership Program
- Harvest Garden provides nature-based, experiential learning opportunities for children and adults with special needs.
For more information please call the Education Programs Office at (818) 949-0120.