Please note that Urban Forager: Deconstructing Salsa has been canceled.
Urban Forager author Elisa Callow will be joined once again by Mario Rodriguez, featured chef in the Urban Forager cookbook, for Deconstructing Salsa Part 2. Mario will demonstrate the remarkable variety of salsas, incorporating fresh and dried chiles and using the traditional comal pan. He will also share options for serving these versatile and iconic sauces.
To join us on Free Tuesday, you will need advance tickets.
Tickets for Free Tuesday on April 21 will be available on Tuesday, March 31 at 10am.
- Tickets are free and must be reserved online in advance, by phone at (818) 949-4200 or in person. No tickets will be available on-site at the Gardens on Free Tuesday.
- Tickets are available three weeks before the date of Free Tuesday. There are two times available to enter: 9am and 1pm. Once you are in the Gardens, you man stay until Descanso Gardens closes at 5pm.
- All visitors – including infants – need a ticket.
- Descanso Gardens members do not need a ticket.
- Members of other gardens that participate in the Reciprocal Admissions Program must reserve a free non-member ticket.
- Tickets will be scanned for entry and can only be used for the date and time printed on them.
- Tickets are limited to 6 per household; those reserving more than 6 tickets will have all additional tickets invalidated. Ticket purchaser must be present with entire party in order to enter the Garden. Descanso Gardens staff may request identification from the ticket purchaser.
- Please read our garden etiquette guidelines to better understand the expectations of behavior when visiting Descanso.
- Food and picnicking are not permitted in the Gardens; however, you are welcome to use the picnic area adjacent to the parking lot.
- We cannot accommodate tour groups/buses on Free Tuesday. For group availability, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (818) 949-4202.
Please note that Spring Flowers Children’s Workshop has been canceled.
Come explore nature with your child(ren) at this special Spring & Earth Day workshop. In collaboration with the Pasadena Garden Club, this workshop will include the opportunity to create floral displays to be included in the Garden Club of America 2020 Flower Show. Please note that this workshop is for children ages 3–5. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
· Remember to wear comfortable clothing and closed toed shoes. Please bring gardening gloves, water and a hat.
Get volunteer hours for school and help care for the Gardens at this student volunteer opportunity. Instruction will be provided and work will be supervised by Descanso horticulture staff. This is a great opportunity for individuals, friends, and organizations.
Please note that the Member Bird Walks on March 22 and April 26 are canceled.
Come join our monthly walk for birders of all levels. Bring binoculars!
Keep your bird count tallied on the updated and now downloadable Descanso Bird Checklist.
Please note that Garden Sprouts is canceled.
Meets on four Fridays from May 1–22.
Garden Sprouts is a grownup and child (ages 2-4) class where the seeds of love for nature are planted and nurtured. Children and adults participate in story time, songs, hands-on nature, science, art, and gardening activities, as well as prepare a healthy snack together. All activities are designed specifically for children’s fine and gross motor skills and social development.
$40 members; $48 nonmembers. Advanced registration required. Please note that this program is non-refundable.
Join artist Pete Morris and learn new watercolor techniques as you explore the various landscapes of Descanso. A brief classroom instruction will be followed by open air painting in different locations.
All levels are welcome. Meets on four Saturdays beginning May 2.
$90 members, $120 non-members. Advance registration required, register here. Students will be emailed a materials list after registration. Please note that this program is non-refundable.
The music is one hour long and begins at 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm and 6pm.