June 9–10 // Thursday–Friday: 10am–5pm
June 11–12 // Saturday–Sunday: 10am–4pm
Experience Tonalism (in Space) from dublab at Descanso for four days this June. With immersive surround sound installations in different areas of the garden, Tonalism invites participants to enjoy ambient music and consider sound as a way to reflect, meditate and connect with our surroundings and environment.
Free with admission, no advance registration required
- Meditative music brings a new sound element to this garden space
- Visitors are invited to explore The Centering Center’s woven pavilion – a social space for interaction and reflection
- Storytelling Workshop with Tina Orduno Calderon on Thursday, June 9 from 11am–noon
- Tina will share stories and songs with guests at Descanso Gardens as well as speak about the revival of the Tongva language and the fluidity of culture which is integrally connected to language and place
- Soundbaths on Thursday and Friday, June 9 and 10 from 5–6:30pm
- Immerse yourself in the sounds of crystal bowls under the oaks
- Four Quadrant Induction Meditation by Marcos Lutyens on Sunday, June 12 from 11am–noon
- A guided meditation exploring internal, sensory, social and environmental realms as they relate to the inner self and to the intent of the Centering Center Pavilion
- Quadraphonic soundscapes and other compositions
This class is sold out
Join artist Virginia Hein for a sketch walk through the gardens on Thursday, June 16. This class is designed as an introduction to quick location sketching and each participant is given a small panorama sketchbook and waterproof pen (included in class price). Bring a spirit of curiosity, play and experimentation.
$35 for members/$40 for non-members. Advance registration required.
Image: © Virginia Hein
Come join this guided monthly walk for birders of all levels. Bring binoculars!
Free with membership, no registration required.
This night of Into the Woods is sold out
Descanso is thrilled to present Pacific Opera Project (POP)’s production of Stephen Sondheim’s Into the Woods coming July 8–10 and 15–17. What better place to stage Into the Woods than the actual woods of one of Southern California’s premier outdoor spaces, Descanso Gardens!
Stephen Sondheim’s Into the Woods takes everyone’s favorite fairytale characters and brings them together for an accessible, timeless, and relevant piece. Don’t miss POP Opera’s surprising staging and fun surprises throughout.
Please note that this night of Into the Woods is sold out
July 8–10: 7:30–10pm
July 15–17: 7:30–10pm
About Into the Woods
The Tony Award-winning book and score follow a baker and his wife, who wish to have a child; Cinderella, who wishes to attend the King’s Festival; and Jack, who wishes his cow would give milk. When the Baker and his wife learn that they cannot have a child because of a Witch’s curse, the two set off on a journey to break the curse. Everyone’s wish is granted, but the consequences of their actions return to haunt them later with disastrous results.