June 11 // Saturday: 6pm–1am
Advance tickets required, $20 members/$25 non-members. Click here to purchase tickets.
Tonalism (in Space) culminates in a late night, ambient music happening inspired by La Monte Young’s Dream House as well as the work of musicians and composers such as Terry Riley, John Cage, and Yoko Ono. The event features live DJ sets, visual elements, and the opportunity to be in the garden as night falls.
Visitors are encouraged to bring pillows, cushions, and sleeping bags to lay down, listen and watch for an extended period of time.
June 9–10 // Thursday–Friday: 10am–5pm
June 11–12 // Saturday–Sunday: 10am–4pm
Experience Tonalism (in Space) from dublab at Descanso for four days this June. With immersive surround sound installations in different areas of the garden, Tonalism invites participants to enjoy ambient music and consider sound as a way to reflect, meditate and connect with our surroundings and environment.
Free with admission, no advance registration required
- Main Lawn:
- Meditative music brings a new sound element to this garden space
- Visitors are invited to explore The Centering Center’s woven pavilion – a social space for interaction and reflection
- Storytelling Workshop with Tina Orduno Calderon on Thursday, June 9 from 11am–noon
- Soundbaths on Thursday and Friday, June 9 and 10 from 5–6:30pm
- Four Quadrant Induction Meditation by Marcos Lutyens on Sunday, June 12 from 11am–noon
- Rose Garden:
- Quadraphonic soundscapes and other compositions
This class is sold out
Join artist Virginia Hein for a sketch walk through the gardens on Thursday, June 16. This class is designed as an introduction to quick location sketching and each participant is given a small panorama sketchbook and waterproof pen (included in class price). Bring a spirit of curiosity, play and experimentation.
$35 for members/$40 for non-members. Advance registration required.
Image: © Virginia Hein