Celebrate Japanese art and culture at this annual celebration set in our Japanese Garden. Activities included in the price of regular admission.
Ikebana Display | 9am – 5pm
View examples of ikebana, the art of flower arranging, from the Sogetsu School of Ikebana.
Taiko Drummers | 11:30am & 1:30pm
Kishin Daiko drummers perform heart-pounding feats of percussion.
Crafting | 10am – 1pm
Create your own work of art inspired by the Japanese Garden.
Photo © Martha Benedict
To join us on Free Tuesday, you will need advance tickets.
Descanso Gardens opens its gates for free the third Tuesday of every month, and the response has been great. So great, that in order to ensure a great experience for visitors, advance tickets are now required for all non–members on Free Tuesday.
Tickets for Free Tuesday on October 15 will be available on Tuesday, September 24 at 10am.
- Tickets are free and must be reserved online in advance, by phone at (818) 949-4200 or in person. No tickets will be available on-site at the Gardens on Free Tuesday.
- Tickets are available three weeks before the date of Free Tuesday. There are two times available to enter: 9am and 1pm. Once you are in the Gardens, you man stay until Descanso Gardens closes at 5pm.
- All visitors – including infants – need a ticket.
- Descanso Gardens members do not need a ticket.
- Members of other gardens that participate in the Reciprocal Admissions Program must reserve a free non-member ticket.
- Tickets will be scanned for entry and can only be used for the date and time printed on them.
- Tickets are limited to 6 per household; those reserving more than 6 tickets will have all additional tickets invalidated. Ticket purchaser must be present with entire party in order to enter the Garden. Descanso Gardens staff may request identification from the ticket purchaser.
- Please read our garden etiquette guidelines to better understand the expectations of behavior when visiting Descanso.
- Food and picnicking are not permitted in the Gardens; however, you are welcome to use the picnic area adjacent to the parking lot.
- We cannot accommodate tour groups/buses on Free Tuesday. For group availability, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (818) 949-4202.
Please note that Garden Sprouts is full.
Join us on four Fridays from October 25–November 15. Meets in the Harvest Garden.
Garden Sprouts is a grownup and child (ages 2–4) class where the seeds of love for nature are planted and nurtured. Children and adults participate in story time, songs, hands-on nature, science, art, and gardening activities, as well as prepare a healthy snack together. All activities are designed specifically for children’s fine and gross motor skills and social development.
$40 members; $48 non-members. Registration required.
Please note that Carved: A Pumpkin Carving Workshop is sold out.
Take your pumpkin carving up a level using basic stencils and tools. All materials and carving tools are included with the workshop fee.
$30 members, $40 non-members. Advance registration required.
Explore Descanso Gardens from the ground up with your children ages 2 to 5. On the first Saturday of the month, Little Explorers will encourage kids to use their senses to discover the natural world through hands-on activities.
Free with admission. No registration required.
Join Urban Forager author Elisa Callow for a refreshing look at the myriad forms of salad – fresh, marinated and pickled – designed to bring out the best of hardy winter greens, such as cabbage, kale and lettuce.
$40 members, $50 nonmembers. Advance reservation required, register here.
Please note that this program is non-refundable.