Meets on four Saturdays from February 2–23 at Minka in the Japanese Garden.
Join artist Virginia Hein in this four-week series where you’ll learn to sketch the varied landscapes of Descanso using a variety of media.
$90 members, $120 nonmembers. Registration required, register here.
Image: © Virginia Hein
Please note that the iPhone Photography Workshop is sold out.
Learn iPhone photography techniques from Adrienne Gunde in the beautiful afternoon light. The class will practice taking pictures in the Gardens.
All levels welcome. Bring your own iPhone. $35 members; $40 nonmembers. Advance registration required.
The Origami Workshop meets at 11am and 2pm on March 9.
Get expert instruction in the art of Japanese paper folding. All levels welcome. Prior experience with origami not necessary, but children 12 and under should be assisted by an adult.
$10 members; $20 nonmembers. Advance registration required, register here. Please note that this program is non-refundable.
Get expert instruction in the art of Japanese paper folding at 2pm on March 9. All levels welcome. Prior experience with origami not necessary, but children 12 and under should be assisted by an adult.
$10 members; $20 nonmembers. Advance registration required, register here.
Please note that this class is full.
Join artist R. Jay Ewing and learn the foundations of drawing in this nature-based class for beginning and intermediate students.
Four Saturdays from March 30–April 20. $90 members, $120 nonmembers. Students will be emailed a materials list after registration. Advance registration required.
Please note that this program is non-refundable.
Admission to Descanso Gardens is free the third Tuesday of every month.
Please note: Garden Sprouts is full.
Four Fridays from May 3–24. Meets in the Harvest Garden.
Garden Sprouts is a grownup and child (ages 2-4) class where the seeds of love for nature are planted and nurtured. Children and adults participate in story time, songs, hands-on nature, science, art, and gardening activities, as well as prepare a healthy snack together. All activities are designed specifically for children’s fine and gross motor skills and social development.
$40 members; $48 nonmembers; Pre-registration required.
To join us on Free Tuesday, you will need advance tickets. Please note that there are no more tickets to Free Tuesday on May 21.
Descanso Gardens opens its gates for free the third Tuesday of every month, and the response has been great. So great, that in order to ensure a great experience for visitors, advance tickets are now required for all non–members on Free Tuesday. Join us on the next Free Tuesday on June 18.
- Tickets are free and must be reserved online in advance, by phone at (818) 949-4200 or in person. No tickets will be available on-site at the Gardens on Free Tuesday.
- Tickets are available three weeks before the date of Free Tuesday. Reservations for Free Tuesday on May 21 will begin on April 30 at 10am. There are two times available to enter: 9am and 1pm. Once you are in the Gardens, you man stay until Descanso Gardens closes at 5pm.
- All visitors – including infants – need a ticket.
- Descanso Gardens members do not need a ticket.
- Members of other gardens that participate in the Reciprocal Admissions Program must reserve a free non-member ticket.
- Tickets will be scanned for entry and can only be used for the date and time printed on them.
- Tickets are limited to 6 per household; those reserving more than 6 tickets will have all additional tickets invalidated. Ticket purchaser must be present with entire party in order to enter the Garden. Descanso Gardens staff may request identification from the ticket purchaser.
- Please read our garden etiquette guidelines to better understand the expectations of behavior when visiting Descanso.
- Food and picnicking are not permitted in the Gardens; however, you are welcome to use the picnic area adjacent to the parking lot.
- We cannot accommodate tour groups/buses on Free Tuesday. For group availability, contact email@example.com or (818) 949-4202.