Self-guided explorations are available year-round for preschool to high school groups. These field trips allow educators to teach their own curriculum while exploring Descanso Gardens with their students. Field trips are offered free of charge to qualifying schools with advance registration.
- Self-guided field trips are offered Monday through Friday at scheduled times beginning at 10am.
- School groups must have at least 1 adult chaperone for every 10 students.
- Chaperones are admitted free with the group unless they exceed a ratio of 1 adult for every 4 students. Adults in excess of this ratio are required to pay the regular $6 admission.
To arrange a field trip
Call the Education Programs Office at (818) 949-0120 to make a field trip reservation. Please have the following information on-hand:
- Supervising teacher’s name, phone number, and email address
- School name, phone number and address
- Number of students on field trip
- Preferred dates for the field trip (please offer at least 2 dates)
- Any special interests or needs
Schools that qualify for the free field trip program
- An accredited California public or private school
- A preschool providing academic instruction to students over 2 years of age
- A program through a school that provides academic instruction to students
- A Head Start or Child Development Center
- Homeschool groups
We look forward to exploring nature with your students at Descanso Gardens!