Plan Your Visit
- Descanso Gardens is open daily except for December 25. Hours are 9am to 5pm (last entry is 4:30pm). There is ample free parking.
- The Boddy House is closed until late spring.
- The Sturt Haaga Gallery is open daily from 10am to 4pm when an exhibit is on view. The gallery presents three 10-week exhibits per year.
- General $9
- Seniors 65 and over/Students with ID $6
- Children (5 to 12 years) $4
- Descanso members and children under 5 are free.
Blue Star Museums: From Saturday, May 18 to Monday, September 2, 2019, Descanso Gardens will offer free daytime admission to active duty military personnel and veterans. Admission is good for two adults and their children. To participate, please be sure to bring your military ID. Thank you for your service!
Price: Tickets are sold at the Visitor Center and are $3 per rider or $25 for a book of 10 tickets
Requirements: Riders must be at least 30 inches tall and able to sit on their own.
Schedule: All schedules are subject to weather and availability. Please call ahead to see if the train is running at (818) 949-4200.
- Monday: No train
- Tuesday: 10am to noon
- Wednesday: No train
- Thursday: No train
- Friday: 10am to noon
- Saturday & Sunday: 10am to 4pm
Where We’re Located
Descanso Gardens is located near the intersection of the 210 and 2 freeways, and is a 20-minute drive from downtown Los Angeles. Use the map below to get directions, or access the map here.
1418 Descanso Drive
La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011
Ph. (818) 949-4200
Click here to download the current map of Descanso Gardens, which includes seasonal bloom and general information about the Gardens.
The Gift Shop is open every day except Christmas. Hours are 10am to 5pm, daily. For information, phone (818) 949-4292.
The Café Descanso is located near the Gardens entrance and is open daily from 8am to 4:30pm. The Café provides sandwiches, salads and lunch specials with outdoor seating. Garden admission is not necessary to dine at the cafe.
Maple is a family-friendly culinary experience at the Gardens. Maple is open for brunch from 9am to 2pm on Saturday and Sunday. Garden admission is not necessary to dine at Maple.
For more information visit the the Dining at Descanso page.
Allowed during regular hours, 9am to 5pm. As of Dec. 1, 2014, Descanso Gardens enforces the 90-mile exclusion policy. Please visit the American Horticultural Society website for details about the reciprocal gardens program.
Tour packages include:
- Free parking for bus, vans or cars.
- Admission to the Gardens during our regular hours of 9am to 5pm included in all tour prices.
- Free Gardens admission for driver and one escort.
- Personalized service. A tour advisor will assist you with reservations and can offer creative ideas to make your visit a success.
- Box-lunch reservations available.
- Picnic area available by reservation.
- Group are not allowed to visit on Free Tuesday, which occurs the third Tuesday of each month.
Discovery Walking Tour
Experience the Gardens with a Descanso docent. For groups of 25 or more (no maximum), available every day of the week, this tour will introduce the magic and history of the Gardens, with an eye to seasonal surprises. We can create customized tours to meet your group’s special interests. We provide one (1) docent per 25 guests. Walking tours are rain or shine so please dress appropriately. Walking tours are for guests in reasonably good health and capable of a substantial amount of walking. Please contact us if you have any questions about the suitability of the Docent-led Walking Tour for your group. Please allow three weeks advance notice for your tour. Price is $10 per person.
A limited number of wheelchairs are available on a first-come, first-serve basis for guest use at the Visitor Center. Many of Descanso’s asphalt pathways are wheelchair accessible.
No animals, except service dogs, are allowed in the Gardens. Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. To learn more about what is considered a service animal, click here. In California, to falsely identify or pretend your dog is a service animal is punishable by six months in jail or a fine of up to $1,000, or both. Penal Code Section 365.7.
This facility and its programs and activities are accessible to and by, persons with disabilities. In order to make this facility accessible to all people, we have made the following modifications:
- Created parking stalls as close as possible to the entrance to the Gardens, designated specifically for persons with disabilities;
- Added curb cuts, ramps, and level entrances to ease the transition into our Gardens and buildings;
- Modified offices, meeting rooms, garden paths, and bathroom facilities so that they are wheelchair accessible;
- Implemented a system whereby wheelchairs may be checked out at no charge, at the Visitor Center. Other accessibility devices for use by individuals with mobility disabilities are permitted in the Gardens.
- Lastly, service animals are permitted in the Gardens as outlined by ADA guidelines.
If you require more specialized assistance, please call ahead of your visit at (818) 949-4290 and speak with a member of our Visitor Center staff, so that we can better understand how we can help improve your experience here at Descanso Gardens.
Descanso is home to many animals including birds, deer, mountain lions, bears, snakes, squirrels and more. Enjoy viewing these creatures, but remember that this is their home and we are the visitors. It is illegal and harmful to people and wildlife to approach, feed, handle, capture or harass any animal. Please keep a safe distance. Getting too close, feeding and touching are all things that can put you and the animal in danger. To find out more about the animals that live at Descanso or to report an animal sighting, please visit the Visitor Center. Descanso Gardens is not liable for harm caused to any persons on Descanso’s premises, nor for loss or damage to property. Visitors to Descanso Gardens enter at their own risk.